All right, I had a sourdough crash. Maybe it wasn’t fed enough, or maybe it got too cold. The life went out of it and all my valiant efforts to restore its vitality failed. Add warm water and sugar: Fail. Add flour: Fail. Immerse the whole jar of starter in hot water and cover it: Fail. It was dead as a door nail.
But because I already had an autolyse started (flour and water combined), I went ahead and made the poolish (sponge thingy) with dry yeast. I had been reading about all these top drawer, high hat chefs experimenting with high ratio doughs, with about twice as much water as I usually use, and then a bare, gentle kneading. I have tried these twice before, and both times I was not satisfied with the end product.
And I wasn’t this time, either. I forced two risings in the oven…
View original post 272 more words